Pineapple Coconut Cake Recipe
Homemade Coconut Layer Cake
Easy homemade coconut cake recipe. Three layers of vanilla butter cake spread with thick pineapple filling and topped with sweet coconut flakes.
A church bake sale best seller!
This coconut pineapple cake is the dessert my mother-in-law is renowned for in church circles. It is the treat most often requested by her church-lady friends whenever the need for baked goods arises.
An elderly widower once threatened to marry her after tasting it.
So much has been made of this coconut cake recipe over the years, that I was sure that making it had to be far beyond my elementary baking skills.
I could not have been more wrong.
My husband told me his mom uses self-rising flour to make it. I did not believe him.
"What kind of frosting does she make for it?" I asked.
"None," he replied.
Now, I was sure he didn't know what he was talking about.
"I'll get her to write the recipe down for you the next time I talk to her," he told me.
A few days later I received the recipe below, hand written on a slip of paper:
Christine's Coconut Cake Recipe
3 Layer Coconut Cake Ingredients
- 4 large eggs
- 2 sticks of softened butter
- 2 cups of sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups self-rising flour
- 2 cups of milk (I substituted unsweetened almond milk)
Coconut Cake Filling Ingredients
- 2 (15 oz) cans Dole crushed pineapple
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 (7 oz) bag sweetened coconut flakes
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain the juice from the pineapple and put the fruit in a saucepan. Add 3 cups of sugar and 1/4 of the coconut flakes to the pineapple and simmer over medium heat until it becomes thick and sticky.
- Butter 3 (8 inch) cake pans. Line the pans with wax paper to make the layers easy to remove after they are baked. (Trace around the pan onto the wax paper to get a circle the exact size of your pan.)
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla extract to the milk. Beat in the flour gradually, alternating with the milk mixture. Beat for 2 minuets on medium speed.
- Pour/scrape the batter into the prepared pans. Bake the layers for 35-40 minutes and set the pans on a rack to cool slightly.
- Once the pans are cool enough to handle, remove the cake layers. Remember to peel the wax paper off the bottom of each layer.
- While the layers are still warm, poke holes into them with a skewer. This will help the pineapple filling to sink into the cake.
- Place the first layer on the plate you plan to serve the cake on. Spread a thick layer of filling on top. Place the second layer on top of this. Repeat with all 3 layers.
- Now, use the remaining pineapple filling to seal the sides of the cake and fill any gaps between layers.
The filling seals the cake and keeps it from drying out while also providing a sticky surface for the coconut flakes to adhere to.
Shake the rest of the coconut flakes out of the bag onto the top of the cake. Pat them gently onto the sticky surface of the cake until there is very little pineapple showing.
Now cut a piece of the best easy pineapple coconut cake you've ever made.
My Other Family Recipes:
Christine's Southern Sweet Potato Pie
My Mom's Apple Brown Betty
My Best Banana Bread Recipes
Grandma Charlotte's Best Sugar Cookie Recipe
Banana Avocado Biscuits
Go from Coconut Cake Recipe to Botanical Journeys' Home Page