Heart Healthy Muffin Recipe
Low Sodium Banana Blueberry Muffins
Yummy healthy muffin recipe for banana blueberry oat bran muffins. Delicious reduced salt treat for those on a diet to lower blood pressure. Use these high fiber fruit muffins to lower high blood pressure naturally.
My husband Tiny is salt sensitive. He has to keep his sodium intake very low in order to keep his blood pressure within the normal range. As anyone who has ever pursued a low sodium diet knows, most baked goods are full of salt.
In desperation to help him stick to a low salt diet to lower blood pressure, I started experimenting in the kitchen. This delicious healthy muffin recipe is the result.
These high fiber, low sodium banana blueberry muffins are one of the few "safe" treats he can enjoy.
The recipe makes 15 normal-sized muffins. Each one contains 72 mgs. of sodium.
- 1 cup all-purpose or bread flour
- 1/3 cup oat bran
- 1/4 teaspoon Morton Lite salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup white sugar plus 1 teaspoon
- 4 tablespoons soft salted butter (using unsalted butter will reduce the sodium to 48 mgs per muffin)
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Prepare the muffin tins by placing paper liners in the cups. Bake the muffins in the bottom half of the oven.
the butter, coconut oil and sugar (reserving 1 teaspoon) together with a wooden spoon. Add
the bananas and mash them in with a potato masher. Now add the eggs.
Beat until all the ingredients are well incorporated. The batter will
- Now add the remaining dry ingredients (except
for the sugar) and stir the batter up well to make sure that
the salt, baking soda and baking powder are evenly distributed.
- Now, fold the blueberries in gently.
- I use an ice cream scoop to place the batter into the muffin cups. Sprinkle the remaining sugar over
the top of the muffins.
- Bake them for 30 minutes or until they turn golden brown.
- Set the muffin pans on wire rack to cool for a few minutes before you attempt to remove the muffins. Once they are cool enough to handle, remove the muffins from the tins and place them directly on the cooling rack to finish cooling.
If you allow the muffins to cool for too long in the tins, they may sweat and become soggy.
My Favorite Banana Bread Recipes
Banana Blueberry Bread Recipe
Make Banana Avocado Biscuits for Breakfast
Go from Healthy Muffin Recipe to Botanical Journeys' Home Page