Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe
Homemade lemon meringue pie recipe. The best recipe for fresh from scratch lemon merangue pie. Includes instructions for making the pie using Meyer lemons. Storing lemon pie.
This recipe makes one 9 inch pie.There are 3 components to a delicious lemon meringue pie: The lemon meringue pie crustThe lemon meringue pie fillingThe meringe topping
All 3 components need to be ready at once so prepare the crust first. You can use a ready made crust or make one using
my pie crust recipe here.
Once the crust is in the pie plate, prick it with a fork in several places to keep it from forming bubbles as it bakes. Bake the crust in a 350 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until it is almost done. Reduce the oven temp to 325 degrees.
Next make the meringue topping by following the
meringue recipe here.
Save the egg yolks for the lemon pie filling. Once the meringue is ready, set it aside and put together
The Lemon Pie Filling
You Need:1 cup white sugar1/4 cup light brown sugar1/3 cup cornstarch1/8 teaspoon finely ground Himalayan Pink sea salt1/2 cup strained fresh lemon juice1 1/4 cups water2 teaspoons fresh grated lemon zest4 large egg yolks3 tablespoons butter cut into chunks
To make Meyer Lemon Meringue Pie (this is the type of lemon I used to make the pie in the photo) use 1 cup of Meyer lemon juice and 3/4 cup of water.
- Whisk the sugars, cornstarch and salt together in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the lemon juice slowly, whisking as you pour so that the filling is smooth. Add the water and lemon zest.
- Beat the egg yolks a little before adding them. Whisk them in quickly. Once they are well incorporated, add the butter chunks.
- Keep stirring until the filling simmers and thickens. It should be so stiff that you have to scrape it out of the pan. Otherwise, you may end up with a failed lemon meringue pie.
- Scrape the lemon pie filling into the waiting pie crust and spread the meringue topping over the hot filling beginning at the outside edges and working toward the center. Make sure the meringue is touching the crust all around the edge. This will stop it from shrinking as it cooks.
- Bake the pie in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes or until the meringue and the crust begin to brown.
- Let the pie cool on a rack for at least an hour before chilling it in the refrigerator. Wait until it has thoroughly chilled before slicing and serving it.
Storing Lemon Meringue Pie
This lemon meringue pie recipe is best baked and eaten the same day. I have included instructions for stabilizing the meringue in the meringue recipe.
The pie will keep for up to 3 days under refrigeration. Cover it loosely with plastic wrap.
Growing Meyer Lemon Trees
Sweet and Sour Lemon Varieties
My Mother-in-Law's Sweet Potato Pie Recipe
Go from Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe to Apple Crumb Pie Recipe
Go from Lemon Meringue Pie Recipe to Plant Guides Home